***Warning very long post****
I just spend the afternoon...not packing (like I should be) but at the beach having a blast....as I drove home watching the sun set..I reflected over the last couple of years....this is what I came up with....
I think I am still in a little shock b/c I kept hearing about the light at the end of the tunnel and now that I am here.......I keep thinking that somehow there will be a mistake and Chris will have to do another year of residency or something crazy will happen.....those who know me well will understand this is just Molly's lovely optimism..ahem i mean pessimism.... but I am on the verge of great excitement....just give me time :)
I thought I would go over a few things I have learned throughout this experience. Some of these lessons, I can not take credit for...I have watched many wonderful friends and their husbands and well my own husband and will steal some of their experiences.
The first, you can make any situation bad or good. You can simply choose.
2nd....time, how lovely it is......it can be stretched and contorted into so many hours, minutes, days and weeks. When I hear of 40 hour work weeks...I laugh inside....I know many people who work 80 and then some and you would not believe what else they can accomplish...it is a miracle.
3rd.....being alone a bunch....while I have never loved this, I have learned to deal...I never imagined all of the things I would be able to do by myself with kids in tow...and my oh my the books and movies I have seen..
4th..empathy...I am a Mormon and families are a big part of our culture. I have been given the opportunity to attend many ward parties, Sunday services and meetings solo. Just me and my kiddos. I think I have gained just a small glimpse of what single moms go through. My hat goes off to all of them, they are a special breed and deserve major props. I now make more of an effort to look for those sweet ladies and do what I can to help...and remember I only have three kids..I have friends with way more and they make things look easy...they are truly gifted.
5th holidays......they are great but do not have to be rigid....they can be celebrated on any day, in any way, at any time. I have learned that Santa can come the day before or after Christmas...it even makes it more exciting.
6th...Support....oh how lovely it is...I have learned that it is very wise to surround yourself with fun, uplifting people. I been blessed with many of these. They have been there to hang out with, laugh with and even cry with.
7th..Money...you do not need it to be happy..just to pay the bills :)...I have had some of the best times, watching a red box dollar rental movie and eating a 5 dollar hungry howie's pizza with my family.
8th...things could always been worse...the days when I am down and think woe is molly.. my husband relates a horrible case at work or I hear what a friend is going through and I kick myself in the booty and realize my life is great! I may be in more debt than some small countries....sorry that is me being sarcastic and exaggerating just a bit but seriously people doctors pay a pretty hefty sum to be called a dr. it is not a pretty thing.
But I am blessed oh so very Blessed!!
9th.....perspective....even though I feel like the road I am on is so very different than the paths everyone else has taken....they are not...I had one of the best conversations with a dear friend that I look up to very much. She related memories of many nights sitting up at the kitchen table crying while trying to figure out how to pay the bills. She had several small children and her husband worked many many long hours. I have always been impressed with her sincerity, empathy and personality. But I would never have guessed the struggles she experienced. And to know that they did pass...and it does get better.....so yes one day my husband will make more than minimum wage.
10th....anything is possible.....I still remember the day Chris came home from a counseling session with his adviser at FSU. Chris had decided to pursue the dr. route and wanted to see what he needed to do..ie which classes to take. The adviser listened to his plan and kindly told him he was wasting his time. He pointed out that Chris was to old, married, had a kid and did not have the grades. He suggested doing something else that was more in Chris's reach. I have never in my life seen my husband so mad........or so motivated......I truly would like to thank that adviser. And maybe send him a copy of Chris's medical license....just to gloat...I mean.....prove a point. That if you want something bad enough and are willing to sacrifice and work hard then nothing is impossible.
Last I also know that Chris and I owe everything to our Heavenly Father. He has opened many doors for us and through paying a full tithe the windows of heaven have truly been opened and blessings in the form of friends, family, love, kindness, prayers, support, health and opportunities have rained down upon our heads. He has made all of this possible.



0 comments:
Post a Comment